The history of Schloss Weissenstein
Schloss Weissenstein in Pommersfelden was built between 1711 and 1718 by Lothar Franz von Schönborn, Prince-Bishop of Bamberg and Prince-Elector of Mainz. The chief architect was Johann Dientzenhofer, although the master architect of the Austrian court - Johann Lucas von Hildebrand - and Maximilian von Welsch were also involved in designing the grounds.
Lothar Franz Graf von Schönborn commissioned this impressive castle as a private summer retreat within reach of his place of office in Bamberg. A donation from Emperor Karl VI helped finance the project.
During its almost 300 year history, Schloss Weissenstein in Pommersfelden has only once been attacked and damaged, by the Prussian troops in the Seven-Year War, and remains one of the best preserved castles of its time.
View of the staircase
Schloss Weissenstein in
Tel: 0049 (0) 95 48 98 18-0
Fax: 0049 (0) 95 48 98 18-18
»» send E-Mail
1st of April - 2nd of November 2014
daily between 10:00am - 5:0 pm, last tour starts at 4pm
Souvenir shop between 09.30am - 5:00pm
Public access to the park is available throughout the year.
Currently the castle is in winterrest.
Special tours are possible anytime, please call us for further information.